Burj Dubai Tower
Tallest Building Dubai's Built
OK, you've probably heard of the Burj Dubai Tower hundreds of times, but to actually see it is to believe it.
The Burj Khalifa skyscraper (that's the official name now!) reveals the power and vision of Dubai's Ruler. It is the tallest building, Dubai or the world has built.
My wife and I monitored it's growth ever since it started life, to the day it was completed and inaugurated for the world to see. During this period, we visited the site several (1000) times and on each occasion, we were in awe of it's amazing beauty and of course, its towering height. The Dubai Tower... Wow!
After a certain point, we could not even see the top without binoculars. And finally, the day has come when this marvel, the skyscraper of all skyscrapers, has been officially opened.
Turner was chosen to manage construction of this tower in Dubai which is the tallest building in the world. Named Burj Dubai, later changed to Burj Khalifa, the tower combines residential and commercial space, including the first Giorgio Armani Hotel, entertainment complexes and the world's largest shopping mall.
Parks, water features and pedestrian-only streets are also incorporated into the project's design.
Architect: Adrian Smith.
Design company: Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill (SOM).
Construction: 2004 - 09.12.2009
Construction Company: Samsung E&C.
Cost: USD 8 billion.
Gross Floor Space: 314,000 m² (3,378,137.6 sq.ft).
Height: 705 m (2,313 ft)*.
Observation deck: Indoor and outdoor at the 124th floor.
Project size: 190 hectares including artificial lake and downtown Dubai.
Here's a search box that can help you locate the best prices anywhere on the net. Guaranteed. Simply start a search right
now, and see for yourself.
Burj Dubai Tower
Here are some important highlights of the Burj Tower Skyscraper:
- The tip of the spire can be seen by a person 95 kms. (60 miles) away.
- The building service fireman's elevator will have a capacity of 5,500 kg and will be the world's tallest service elevator.
- Burj Dubai will contain the world's highest elevator installation.
- Parts of the Tower reach upwards in a helical shape with terraces, there are 26 in total.
- The Burj Dubai's Observatory Elevators (double deck cabs) have a capacity for 21 persons on each deck and will have the world's longest travel distance from lowest to highest stop.
- There are 66 double-decked elevators moving at the speed of 18m/s (40mph), making them the worlds fastest.
- The amount of rebar used for the tower is 31,400 metric tons - laid end to end this would extend over a quarter of the way around the world.
- The curtain wall of the Burj Tower will be equivalent to 17 football (soccer) fields or 25 American football fields.
- The Tower's peak electricity demand is estimated to light roughly 360,000 100-watt light bulbs all operating at the same time.
- There will be 200 meters of spectacular dancing fountains at the foot of the Burj Dubai Tower.
- When completed, the Dubai Tower will be the tallest building in the world in all 4 categories recognized by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), which compiles and ranks the world's tallest buildings.
- The Tower will house one of the first Armani Hotels.
- At 110 levels and 380 meters high, Burj Dubai Tower shared the honor of having the largest number of floors in any building in the world alongside Sears Tower in Chicago.
- Ten cranes and the world's fastest high-capacity construction hoists - with a speed of up to 2m/sec (120m/min) are used to move men and material.
- Burj Khalifa Tower will be the first mega-high rise in which certain elevators will be programmed to permit controlled evacuation for certain fire or security events.
The Burj Dubai Tower aka Burj Khalifa Tower Photo Gallery:
(Burj Dubai Pictures of the design, and from the observation deck on the 124th floor).
Google Map of Dubai Tower:
Copy and paste the entire link from the box below to view a detailed Satellite Google Map of Burj Khalifa Tower...
View some exclusive Burj Dubai Tower Photos. You may even add your own...
If you have any important tips to share about The Burj Dubai Skyscraper, Please Contact Us, and we'll be happy to add it here.
Return to Dubai Tourism
Return to Dubai Forever Home Page
Photos courtesy: mckaysavage.